Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
We're dedicating this week to the kind of fantastical shopping that most of us only get to experience in dreams. Taking a page from casino parlance, we'll be talking a lot about "whales," those big spenders who feel perfectly comfortable dropping tens of thousands of dollars every night on roulette, or, in our case, on Cartier, caviar facials, and Chanel. Welcome to Whale Week 2013.
Who would have thought that a dingy, old jail would transform into a landmark on the Boston nightlife circuit? We can't think of any other venue that revolves around the local fashion community to the same degree as the Liberty Hotel. At its weekly Fashionably Late event each Thursday night, the Liberty team taps both established and emerging designers as well as local boutiques for a seasonal runway show set to music and cocktails.
Now, some folks do it big for these events, and the setup can get really extravagant for major spenders rolling through town or looking for a stay-cation. Here's how to plan a $10,000 stylish night...
· Book the Ebersol Presidential Suite at $7,000 a night. These digs boast one of the best views of our skyline with its 305 square foot terrace and floor-to-ceiling windows throughout a gigantic 2,200 square foot space. Boom, crashpad.
· Pop some bottles for $2,500. Try two magnum bottles of Armand de Brignac "Ace of Spades" Blanc de Blanc Champagne. Moet will taste like Andre after this. Spraying it on everyone for dramatic effect is optional.
· You need some protein before taking in all that bubbly. Grab an assortment of Osetra caviar for $500. Next step: act like a Russian millionaire, if you're not one already.
· Finally, the stylish part: Reserve a table at Catwalk—a third-floor VIP lounge area—to get up close and personal with that night's clothing designs as they walk by on models.
Coming up on the Fashionably Late roster this February are shows from Harvard Square lingerie supplier Forty Winks and the Hotel's Beacon Hill neighbor, Vira boutique. Check back for details on when each is hosting and what kind of freebies will be enjoyed. Until then, save your pennies and Benjamins to book that insane suite.
· The Liberty Hotel [Official Site]
· All Vira posts [Racked Boston]
· All Forty Winks posts [Racked Boston]
· All Whale Week coverage [Racked Boston]