Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
It takes a hustle to earn the title "DJ to the Stars"—but that is exactly what Sharon, MA native Lindsay Luv sought out to do years ago. An inspiration not only to up-and-coming DJs but also business mavens and powerful women in general, LA-based Lindsay sets an example to follow in her career behind the turntable, as trusted brand advocate, and with her lifestyle blog, Luv Lifestyle. Recently, she mixed a playlist for the official Victoria's Secret Fashion Show party and flew to Dubai with Armani Privé, and earlier this year, was the subject of an in-depth feature on Miss KL, the ladies' wing of Boston e-tailer Karmaloop.
What does this go-getter resolve to work on this year? Let's break it down...
· Hot Hues! Work 2013's must-have bold colors like emerald green and fuschia berry into your wardrobe.
· Put a pin on it. Brooches are all the rage this upcoming year, so dig through grandma's jewelry box for the goods. New or vintage, it's all about the brooch bling.
· Dare to bare...in a sheer skirt and fabulous knickers. Sheer skirts and full coverage fashion knickers is the daring new trend about to emerge and why not take a walk on the wild side?
· Dress to impress...yourself! Ditch the trends that look better on the runway than your body and focus on the ones that make you feel as great as you look...and vice versa.
· Start to let the ombre grow out...completely. And while we are at it, let the My Little Pony hair colors take a little rest too. 2013 is about natural, polished and chic hair.
· Stay suspended in time: more SPF y'all! Upgrade to a better and higher SPF for the new year and keep you looking as young as the last.
· Let your lips do the talking with bright and bold lip colors like the shocking hot pinks from Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tars or Tarte's lip stains.
· Go beyond 2012's ever trendy kale and try out 2013's hottest new greenery: Swiss chard. While you're at it, add more whole grains to the mix with bulgur, farro, barley and buckweat. It's not just about quinoa this year.
· Let nature be your gym: long walks, hill hikes, outdoor tracks, jungle gyms and more are great playgrounds for fitness with a refreshing view.
· Track your diet and fitness goals with new easy to use on-the-go apps on your mobile phone. And get inspired with great fitness friendly mixes with the app for top DJ mix site TheFuture.fm.
· Recycle! Set your own trends by remixing the wardrobe you already own. Get innovative by putting together new looks with old pieces and save some money.
· Sale stalk. Get to know your favorite brands' sale schedules and wait until those must-have pricey items go on sale to snag what you want without breaking the bank.
· Support your local boutiques. In a time where everything is suddenly online at the touch of a finger, it is that much more fun to go shopping in person. Support locally while you still have the option to try something on before you press purchase.
· DJ Lindsay Luv on making a fashion-forward playlist for NYE [Stylephile]
· Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Party Mix [Thefuture.fm]
· Lindsay Luv Brings Her Beats to Dubai [Société Perrier]
· This Miss KL: Lindsay Luv [Miss KL]
· DJ Lindsay Luv [Official Site]