Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Neighborwoods makes Boston coasters from aromatic cedar for $36.
- Sophie Hughes is a Boston-rooted jewelry designer, working with reclaimed sterling silver out of her new shop Ore in the South End. These $194 handmade hoop earrings are both edgy and or
- Rogue Industries is a company in Maine that produces highly crafted leather goods, such as this Heirloom Lodge Journal, $68, which was handmade by a sister duo. One hundr
- With Somerville offices, Cuppow is changing the way you look at a mason jar. From drinking lids to the BNTO attachment (shown), these inexpensive, trendy housewares help your food and drink travel smoothly out of the kitchen. They can be found in various
- ReFleece, also based in Somerville, uses reclaimed fabrics to make iPad and tablet cases that are stylish, sturdy, and sustainable. The founders have ties to Northeastern, Yale, and Harvard universities—making it a true New England start-up. We real
- Old Try, a letterpress company in Somerville (yeah, there are a LOT of makers there!), designed this "Patriots Day" letterpress print of the original New England flag. Take home a piece of regional history for
Parents, significant others, siblings, friends, and coworkers often demand souvenirs from your travels. If you're heading out of Boston and want to bring home goodies for your favorite people, we recommend opting out of the kitschy kiosks at Quincy Market and instead gifting some clever New England-inspired items. When it comes to finding treasures with local ties, there are plenty of options tucked into our artist communities. For example, NY-based Neighborwoods (above) engraves a set of four wooden coasters with Boston names and boundaries—available at Olives & Grace in the South End.
· All Travel Week 2013 [Racked Boston]