Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
People may debate whether the era of flash sales is drawing to a close, but Gilt Groupe is one leader that is sticking to its discount model. Part of that concept involves the ever-popular Gilt City Warehouse Sale, which rolls into town next weekend, Friday through Saturday (August 9 and August 10). Instead of setting up shop at Artists for Humanity like it did this winter, Gilt will be unloading hoards of designer goods at Space 57 in the Revere Hotel.
Per usual, live music and cocktails will accompany the steep discounts from brands including Zac Posen, Missoni, Badgley Mischka, and more. Here we've gathered four items that are up for grabs (and at major markdowns): a couple dresses from Cynthia Rowley and Vera Wang, a Pour La Victoire bag, and Sergio Rossi sandals.
Since the shopping experience is akin to your typical TJ Maxx or Marshall's but with better booty, we wanted to know how to best navigate the sale. Gilt City Boston senior curator Bre Garcia Dale shed some light on the ins and outs of snagging your favorite items:
1. Come early. It's a big duh but you definitely want to capitalize on the time slot you've purchased tickets for. 2. Coats and big bags must be checked, so bring that cute crossbody or a wristlet containing your ID and credit cards. Wear something easy to slip clothes on and off over in case there is a crazy dressing room line.
3. Shop for future seasons! It might be 90 degrees out, but if you spot the perfect winter coat, it will keep marvelously in your closet.
4. Keep an open mind. Says Bre: "While you may have certain items in mind that you're really focused on purchasing, take your time. This is usually when the magic happens and you'll find yourself going home with some great steals that you might otherwise not have found."
5. Bring your credit card, because cash is not accepted.
Tickets ($10-$20) are now available for the event, offered in various time slots throughout the weekend.
· Gilt City Warehouse Sale [Gilt City]
· Gilt Doubles Down on Flash Sale Model Despite Waning Interest [Racked]
· Here's Where This Deal Curator Shops for Home Treasures [Racked Boston]